Over the past 50 years Charter has grown substantially, diversifying in practice whilst retaining its long history of strong Client relationships and developing an interdisciplinary service capacity for Clients who value the simplicity of a singular contact for the delivery of multiple services.
From humble beginnings and the belief that we could make it happen, to where we are today as one of the country’s leading firms in the property sector – the Charter Keck Cramer story continues to unfold.
“Charter” is a traditional term embodying the most significant and highest level of engagement in areas of commerce and professional service. By linking that term with the names of its two longest service principals there is a strong recognition of who we are and what we do.
In January 2013 Charter relocated to 8 Exhibition Street Melbourne and in November 2014 Charter grew its national presence by opening an office in Sydney, 52 Martin Place.
Charter provides strategic property advice to Major Australian and International clients including private, institutional and government sectors.
The firm’s extensive in-house knowledge across all major and niche property market segments, network of industry relationships and comprehensive range of services, enable Charter to deliver high quality, innovative solutions and advice.
- The firm was founded as a real estate agency / valuations firm run by Scott Keck called John. B. Thompson in Box Hill.
- The firm was initially established to meet the market demands for high quality residential valuations in Melbourne.
- By the late 1970s, Philip Cramer had joined his good friend Scott Keck at John. B. Thompson
- By the 80s, the growth and evolution of the firm saw the incorporation of a greater volume of residential valuations, supported by a reputation for the company’s independence and strong opinions via popular market commentary.
- Growing market demands of this decade saw the firm become known as more of a commercial representation, with a well-rounded client base.
- During this period, the expansion of the firm was magnified by the acquisition of two additional valuation practices.
- Breaking away from Herron Todd White to form Charter Keck Cramer was a statement of our independence, and growing reputation.
- This evolution led to our Corporate Real Estate service offering, with the establishment of a new business unit under Peter Hutchins’ lead.
- March 2008. Graeme Parton’s consulting business, Pinnacle Property, merges with Charter Keck Cramer.
- Late 2008, Charter secures Telstra contract to manage their property divestment portfolio nationally; an ongoing operation today.
- Early 2009, saw the commencement of our Development Management services.
- Civil Engineering and Land Surveying arrived late 2000s which included the acquisition of Kevin Barge & Associates Land Surveying practice.
- Late 2009, Scott Keck became Executive Chairman and Peter Hutchins takes over role as Managing Director.
- Growing workflow from the interstate market increased our firm in size and service offering, to deliver integrated property solutions across Australia.
- 2010, Charter Keck Cramer rebranded, claiming our position in the market as Australia’s leading property advisory firm.
- 2013, office relocation and consolidation of 180 professionals to 8 Exhibition Street.
- 2013, Chinese website launched to meet the demands of an international market: www.china.charterkc.com.au
- Charter’s market commentary is increasingly being circulated, published and in demand, as it becomes regularly available via social media and digital platforms to a significant following online.
- 2014, Charter opened a Sydney office to meet national and international business growth and market demand.
- 2015, Charter appointed Ivan Lam as Executive Manager – ASEAN Regions/China to ensure that Australia bound investment into the property markets from the entire Asian region is offered the opportunity of convenient engagement with highly skilled, objective, experienced and cost effective professional resources to assist in their investment process and strongly guard their ultimate investment.
- 2017, Charter opened it’s flagship ASEAN office in Singapore.
- 2018, Charter opened its Brisbane office to continue national growth strategy.
- Thought leadership & knowledge sharing with a wider network as we deliver expert and integrated property services and solutions to Australia and beyond.
- Increasingly available workshops, speaking engagements and industry events to meet the market demand for our Property Intelligence.