ACBC’s International Women’s Day #PledgeForParity
Charter Keck Cramer staff and guests attended the Australia China Business Council’s International Women’s Day event on 8 March 2016.
The session was rich with valuable insight and information on the topics of both gender parity, and more broadly, diversity and inclusion for all represented in our constantly globalising community.
The session was moderated by Rohini Kappadath, Director of Cross Border Business, Pitcher Partners, who gave insight into embracing and living the promise of diversity and inclusion, and the power of diversity in gender and culture as competitive tools in business.
She explained diversity as empowering people, whist making an organisation effective in combining the strengths of all employees. To be successful, diversity requires inclusion, which is an atmosphere in which all people truly feel valued, respected and know they have the same opportunities as each other.
Diversity and inclusion are at the heart of how we respect, acknowledge and value each other’s contributions as professionals and as human beings.
The event was representation of five participating Chambers: The American Chamber of Commerce in Australia; Australia Arab Chamber of Commerce & Industry Victoria; Australia China Business Council; Australia Indonesia Business Council; and German-Australian Chamber of Commerce.
The coming together of such so many varied chambers gives insight to the strength of International Women’s Day and the #PledgeForParity.
A distinguished panel of speakers included:
- Ms Maureen Dougherty, President & CEO of Boeing Australia
- Ms Rebecca Lee, Managing Director, Covestro
- Professor Alice de Jonge, Senior Lecturer, International Law, Corporate Accountability and Asian Business Law, Monash University
- Ms Beverley Honig, Winner AFR/Westpac 100 Women of Influence Awards 2015; Chairman & CEO, Honeylight Enterprises; Inductee for 2016 Businesswomen Hall of Fame
- Dr Fiona Hill, Chair of Australia Arab Chamber of Commerce & Industry Victoria; Advisory Board, Member of the Australia Arab Dialogue; Mentor, Women in Global Business